Start Me Up Terms and Conditions
“We” “us” or “our” means Start Me Up Careers Ltd
“You” or “your” means the client
1. We provide your accommodation during your internship.
2. For security reasons and to comply with local authority restrictions, you are prohibited from inviting or allowing any person who is not a current Start Me Up client or staff member to enter your accommodation without the express consent of the Start Me Up local coordinator.
1. Undertaking one of our internships overseas carries with it a degree of risk and you must be protected by adequate travel insurance for the duration of your trip. We are happy to offer advice on suitable policies on request, but it is your responsibility to ensure that you are appropriately covered. In particular, your travel insurance policy should cover:
2. Emergency medical care and repatriation if necessary;
3. Claims, including for emergency medical treatment, arising from the time you are on internship in a hospital or other clinical setting, loss or damage to luggage and personal belongings, cancellation, curtailment, repatriation, legal expenses, medical and emergency travel, personal accident, personal liability, rescue and assistance, hijack, and travel delay. You are obliged to ensure that your policy covers all activities that you may be involved in during your placement.
1. We provide help and advice on obtaining relevant visas, but the issuing of these is at the discretion of the relevant authority and is beyond our control. Requirements may change without notice or a visa may be refused. We cannot accept responsibility for the consequences of this.
2. You are responsible for ensuring that your passport, visa and any other travel documents are valid for the duration of your internship and for 6 months after your internship has concluded.
3. Please note that visas issued for Start Me Up internships generally do not allow you to undertake any other kind of paid work overseas. Taking on paid work without the proper permissions may be a serious offence for which you may be prosecuted. Please consult the Start Me Up team with any concerns.
We promise to make sure that the placement arrangements we have agreed to make, perform or provide as applicable as part of our contract with you are made, performed or provided with reasonable skill and care. This means that, subject to these terms and conditions, we will accept responsibility if, for example, you suffer death or personal injury or your contracted placement arrangements are not provided as promised or prove deficient as a result of the failure of ourselves, our employees, agents or suppliers to use reasonable skill and care in making, performing or providing, as applicable, your contracted placement arrangements.
Please note, it is your responsibility to show that reasonable skill and care has not been used if you wish to make a claim against us. In addition, we will only be responsible for what our employees, agents and suppliers do or do not do if they were at the time acting within the course of their employment (for employees) or carrying out work we had asked them to do (for agents and suppliers).
2 We will not be responsible for any injury, illness, death, loss (including loss of enjoyment or possessions), damage, expense, cost or other sum or claim of any description whatsoever.
3 Activities such as rafting, trekking and surf lessons are undertaken entirely at your own risk.
Amendments, cancellations, and curtailment by the Client
1. Amendments or cancellations must be notified to us in writing by email. Our overseas staff can provide help and advice on amendments and cancellations, but a verbal agreement will not represent a change to your contract with us.
2. Our charge for an amendment is normally $100 plus any costs incurred by us. If the total cost is estimated to be in excess of $105, we will provide you with a quotation before proceeding.
3. A significant part of the fee paid by you will be spent or committed to budgets prior to the start date of your internship, and we are therefore unable to offer a full refund if you choose to cancel. Your deposit is always non-refundable.
In the event of a cancellation by you, we will refund part of the fee after deducting a cancellation charge depending on how far in advance of your original internship start date we receive your written notice to cancel as follows:
* Notice of more than 90 days: $300 charge
* Notice of between 45 and 90 days: 50% total program fee
* Notice of less than 45 days: Full fee (no refund)
4. The above terms apply to the original internship dates. If you postpone, cancellation charges will apply as if the original departure date was still operative. Exceptions are entirely at our discretion and must be agreed in writing at the time when the postponement is made.
5. Amendments after your internship has started are entirely at the discretion of the Start Me Up team.
6. If you curtail your programme, we cannot pay any refunds, and you will be responsible for any additional costs involved, including the cost of repatriation. We reserve the right to charge you an administration fee of up to $120.
Amendments and cancellations by Start Me Up Ltd
1. The nature of our overseas programs is such that details of your internship (such as the startup in which you are placed or the type of accommodation) may differ from those originally given to you. We will do our very best to minimize such changes, and to inform you promptly if changes do arise.
2. In very occasional circumstances, we may need to cancel overseas internships. In such cases, we will inform you not less than 45 days before your internship start date and refund all fees you have paid to us. This will be the full extent of our liability and we will not accept responsibility for other costs you may incur, such as flight ticket penalties, as you should have adequate travel insurance to prevent any loss.
3. If cancellation occurs due to circumstances beyond our control, including security threats, terrorist activity, political instability or natural disasters, we will not be liable to refund any fees paid to us. We will, however, do our best to offer a similar internship in a different destination. You will be responsible for any costs incurred in changing to this destination, including changes to flights.
1. We are here to help you, and our staff will do their very best to provide the highest level of service. However, a formal procedure for complaints is set out below.
2. We are providing you with an opportunity to gain real life work experience in a working during an internship, and as such you will need to show a high level of independence and initiative, especially in dealing with problems as they arise. If you have any problem that you find difficult to deal with, or which you feel should be our responsibility to resolve, you should follow this procedure: Talk to the Start Me Up team member responsible for your internship and he or she will do their best to help you. If you are unhappy with the immediate response, or you feel the time taken to resolve the problem is too great, you should present your complaint to the Country Coordinator in writing. If you are still unhappy with the response to your complaint, you should put it in writing to our head office either by as soon as possible. In the event of a claim for compensation, details of the claim must be received by us in writing no more than 30 days after the end date of your internship.
3. The above procedure exists to enable us to identify and deal with problems and complaints as quickly and efficiently as possible. Failure to follow this procedure may compromise our ability to help you. We will not be responsible for problems or complaints not brought to our attention as above.
1. You agree to keep confidential all sensitive information disclosed to you during your internship.
2. Whilst at the startup(s) hosting your internship you agree to be bound by their rules, regulations and policies.
3. We reserve the right to take appropriate action in the event of behavior which would reasonably be expected to give offence to hosts, project managers, work colleagues or others. This includes behavior such as serious rowdiness or drunkenness, failure to turn up to work, or leaving work without any adequate reason, or in the event of an unreasonable inability, from whatever cause, to do the work expected.
4. A problem that we consider serious would be brought to your attention in writing or, if you were not contactable, delivered to your accommodation address. If the problem still stood after five working days, or shorter period if urgent, a further letter would be sent saying that, if the matter was not resolved to our satisfaction within a further five working days, or shorter period if urgent, you would be removed from the program. Should you wish to stay in your destination country beyond that date, we would have no further responsibility for your food, accommodation, insurance or travel arrangements.
5. It would be at our discretion to suspend you from your work during this process.
6. Please note that your booking is accepted on the understanding that you come on the program at your own risk. It is not possible for us to be responsible for the actions or omissions of those involved in your program over whom we have no direct control, such as employees of airlines, local transport and others. Equally, we are not responsible for loss or expense due to war, riots, strikes, terrorist activities, natural disasters, or bankruptcies
7. Please note that we reserve the right to decline to accept any person onto a internship, or to require any participant to withdraw at any time, when such action is determined by the appropriate Start Me Up staff representative to be in the best interests of the health, safety, and general welfare of the programme or of the individual participant. In such a case, we accept no responsibility for any airline cancellation penalty incurred by the purchase of a non-refundable ticket or any other cost that you may incur.
8. Proper Law and Jurisdiction – The proper law of the contract between us is English Law. The courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute which may arise out of or in connection with the contract.
Personal Data, And Image Rights
1 We will need to collect certain information such as your name and address, medical details, passport number, nationality etc in order to provide your Placement. For the Purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998, we are a data controller. We may pass this information to suppliers of your travel arrangements, including hotels and transport Organisations. We may also pass this information to security or credit checking Organisations, and to public authorities such as customs and immigration.
2 Your Placement is outside the European Economic Area (EEA), controls on data protection in your destination may not be as strict in the UK. We will only pass on data, including sensitive information regarding disabilities or dietary and religious requirements, to people responsible for your travel arrangements. If we cannot pass this information to the relevant suppliers, in the EEA or elsewhere, we cannot provide your booking. When you make this booking, you consent to this information being passed to the relevant people.
3 By making a booking you acknowledge that we have the right to use images of you, including but not limited to photographs, film, or other similar creative materials, taken of you during your placement, for use in our marketing, or advertising material.. If you do not wish for use to use any such images you should contact us at email@example.com